I recently had the chance to eat at Momofuku which I had heard so much about. The small plates were very tasty. We ordered the spicy cucumbers and the shishito peppers to start. Sadly, the noodles we ordered were just okay.
Inspired by the spicy cucumbers at Momofuku, I added some spice to my usual cucumber salad and made a spicy cucumber and scallion salad.
Here’s my recipe:
1 English cucumber sliced on a bias
2 stalks of scallions
2 cloves of garlic minced finely
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of crushed chilli flakes
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
1. Slice the cucumber on a bias
2. Salt the cucumber and let it sit for 2 hours to draw out excess moisture.
3. After 2 hours, discard the water from the cucumber.
4. Add the chilli flakes.
5. Slice the scallions and mince the garlic and add them to the cucumbers.
6. Add the soy sauce and set the salad aside for 2 hours to let the flavours meld.
7. Top the salad with the toasted sesame seeds when you’re ready to eat.